Inspection and Testing

Inspection and Testing

We offer full range electrical test and inspections for all premises, both domestic and commercial. We can complete these works “out of hours” if required and will provide you at the end with a complete breakdown of faults along with costing to correct any issues that arise should you so wish.

We send a copy of the certificate electronically the same day and take photos/videos of any observations we may find.

As a Landlord do i need a EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report)

Landlords are required to provide electrical installation certificates to show new equipment is safe, but there is no legal requirement to have it regularly inspected.However, there are several pieces of legislation that landlords could fall foul of if they provide faulty electrics.Legislation such as the Landlord and Tenant Act require landlords to respond to any requests for repairs and a claim could also be brought under the Consumer Protection Act if a property is found to be unsafe.

Landlords also have a duty of care for people on their property. A tenant would need to report concerns about electrical equipment to the local council. An enforcement officer would visit the property and make an order for any changes. Failure to comply could result in fines or bans and makes it harder to evict a tenant.

Why should i have a EICR

An EICR is somewhat like a M.O.T. for a vehicle. The installation is inspected visually and a series of physical instrument tests are carried out on the wiring itself. An EICR will uncover any faults or potential problems with your installation, these faults will be detailed and if required photographs will be taken and included in the report. An EICR will inform you of how old the installation is, how it has been constructed, if it has been constructed in the correct way using appropriate materials and methods and whether or not it is still fit for purpose. It is a very valuable document not only for purposes such as insurance but also for peace of mind and compliance. Electricity can be lethal if it is not delivered safely and a full EICR is the only way to find out if your installation is safe.

What does an EICR entail

Initially our engineer will visually examine the supply intake position and meter, followed by the consumer unit (or fuseboard) making notes on the condition and assessing the suitability of the equipment. Our engineer will be checking for signs of damage, wear and tear, thermal damage, arcing, tightness of connections and condition of the insulation of live parts. The main earthing and main earth bonding will also be checked for its presence and if it is correctly installed.

The outgoing circuits from the consumer unit will then be detailed and documented.

Each outgoing circuit will then individually be firstly visually inspected and then instrument tested. The instrument tests will be measuring the continuity of earth conductors and ring final conductors, followed by insulation resistance, polarity and RCD tests. Each of these tests is essential and carried out thoroughly. The results of these tests are recorded. Any defects found through visual inspection or instrument testing will then also be recorded.

How often should a test be carried out

The Landlord should carry out a regular basic visual safety check of the electrical installation to ensure that these are safe. This should detect broken items such as sockets and light switches or signs of scorching around the sockets due to overloading or damaged cables etc.

The Institute of Electrical Engineers recommends 10 years as the maximum period between tests of the electrical installation by an electrician but this relates to the period between the initial inspection (when the installation was first installed) and the first periodic inspection/test. Subsequent periods for inspection/tests would depend on the condition of the installation. What the Electrical Safety Council now recommends in this latest Guidance for rented accommodation is that period inspections/tests by a qualified electrician are carried out at least every 5 years or on a change of tenancy. As pointed out above, if the property is a house in multiple occupation of any kind (which will include shared houses) there is a statutory requirement to carry out such inspection/test every 5 years anyway.The Institute of Electrical Engineers also recommends for residential accommodation that an inspection/test is carried out on a change of occupancy.

These are inspections/tests by a qualified electrician.

The Electrical Safety Council Guide says that where a change of tenancy occurs within a short period (for example not more than 6 months) a full inspection/test may not always be required. However, it is imperative that a landlord’s representative carries out a visual electrical safety inspection prior to reletting. This should undertake a manual test of any residual current devices.

What happens if the EICR fails

Each item or observation documented is assigned a code indicating its degree of non-comliance or severity. A code 1 item indicates immediate danger requiring attention. A code 2 item indicates that urgent improvement is required. A code 3 item indicates that improvement is recommended. If an installation has any code 1 or code 2 items present it cannot be deemed satisfactory. If your installation fails you must have remedial works carried out to code 1 and code 2 items as soon as possible. Code 3 items can be remedied if you wish but generally do not make an installation unsatisfactory. Positive Electrical Contracts Ltd can quote for and carry out all remedial works to your installation. We will then re-issue you with an additional EICR indicating the new satisfactory condition. You should retain both for your records.

Types of Certificates we offer

  • Landlords certificates
  • Certificates for home buyers
  • PAT Test certificates
  • Insurance building certificates
  • 3rd Party
  • Same day electronic certificates

Things to consider when selecting a company

Please be wary before you search the internet trying to get the cheapest price.  A lot of companies will just have the main director registered with a governing body such the NIC or NAPIT however the engineers are not registered nor do they have the required qualification to carry out the test. All of our engineers are registered with NAPIT and can sign off their own work and issue certificates.