Landlords 2019-04-05T15:13:39+00:00


We offer full range electrical test and inspections for all premises, both domestic and commercial. We can complete these works “out of hours” if required and will provide you at the end with a complete breakdown of faults along with costing to correct any issues that arise should you so wish.

We send a copy of the certificate electronically the same day and take photos/videos of any observations we may find.

As a Landlord do i need a EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report)

Landlords are required to provide electrical installation certificates to show appliances and new equipment is safe, but there is no legal requirement to have it regularly inspected. However, there are several pieces of legislation that landlords could fall foul of if they provide faulty electrics to tenants. Legislation such as the Landlord and Tenant Act require landlords to respond to any requests for repairs and a claim could also be brought under the Consumer Protection Act if a property is found to be unsafe.

Why should i have a EICR

An EICR is somewhat like a M.O.T. for a vehicle. The installation is inspected visually and a series of tests are carried out on the wiring itself. An EICR will uncover any faults or potential problems with your installation.
These faults will be recoded onto a certificate and if required photographs will be taken and included. An EICR will inform you of how old the installation is, how, if it complies with current regulations and whether or not it is still fit for purpose. It is a very valuable document not only for purposes such as insurance but also for peace of mind and compliance. Electricity itself can be lethal if it is not delivered safely and a full EICR is the only way to find out if your installation is safe.

What does an EICR entail

Initially our engineer will visually inspect the supply meter supply intake area, followed by the consumer unit (or fuse-board) making notes on the condition and assessing the suitability of the equipment. We will be checking for signs of damage, any arcing which is due to tightness of connections and condition of the insulation of live parts. The main earthing and main earth bonding will also be checked for its presence and if it is correctly installed.
The outgoing circuits from the consumer unit will then be recorded onto the certificate.
Each outgoing circuit will then individually be firstly visually inspected and then tested. The tests will be measuring the continuity of earth conductors and ring final conductors, followed by insulation resistance, polarity and RCD tests. Each of these tests is essential and carried out thoroughly. The results of these tests are recorded. Any defects found through visual inspection or instrument testing will then also be recorded.

How often should a test be carried out

The Landlord / letting agent should carry out a regular basic visual safety checks of the electrical installation to ensure that these are safe. This should detect broken items such as sockets and light switches or signs of scorching around the sockets due to overloading or damaged cables etc.

The Institute of Electrical Engineers recommends 10 years as the maximum period between tests of the electrical installation by an electrician but this relates to the period between the initial inspection (when the installation was first installed) and the first periodic inspection/test. Subsequent periods for inspection/tests would depend on the condition of the installation. What the Electrical Safety Council now recommends in this latest Guidance for rented accommodation is that period inspections/tests by a qualified electrician are carried out at least every 5 years or on a change of tenancy. As pointed out above, if the property is a house in multiple occupation of any kind (which will include shared houses) there is a statutory requirement to carry out such inspection/test every 5 years anyway.The Institute of Electrical Engineers also recommends for residential accommodation that an inspection/test is carried out on a change of occupancy.

Remedial Works

What happens if the EICR fails

Each item or observation documented is assigned a code indicating its degree of non-comliance or severity. A code 1 item indicates immediate danger requiring attention. A code 2 item indicates that urgent improvement is required. A code 3 item indicates that improvement is recommended. If an installation has any code 1 or code 2 items present it cannot be deemed satisfactory. If your installation fails you must have remedial works carried out to code 1 and code 2 items as soon as possible. Code 3 items can be remedied if you wish but generally do not make an installation unsatisfactory. Positive Contractors Ltd can quote for and carry out all remedial works to your installation. We will then re-issue you with an additional EICR indicating the new satisfactory condition. You should retain both for your records.

Types of Certificates we offer

  • Landlords certificates
  • Certificates for home buyers
  • Insurance building certificates
  • PAT Test certificates
  • 3rd Party
  • Same day electronic certificates

Things to consider when selecting a company

Please be wary before you search the internet trying to get the cheapest price. A lot of companies will just have the main director registered with a governing body such the NIC or NAPIT however the engineers are not registered nor do they have the required qualification to carry out the test. All of our engineers are registered with NAPIT and can sign off their own work and issue certificates.

General Maintenance & Repairs

At Positive Contractors we take all the stress away from you when it comes to dealing with tenants. We will liaise directly with them and if needed meet as early as 6am before they leave for work (at no extra cost) or arrange to collect keys.
The person whom instructs the job will get an email through our job management software, which will show which engineer has been assigned and the date and time they will attend.
The engineer will take photos to show any works completed and we always aim to complete within an hour’s call out, otherwise we will call for permission if any additional works are needed.
Invoices are sent electronically within 24hours with a detailed report on which locations the work have been completed and exactly what was done, with a full cost breakdown

Below is a list of some of the maintenance services we offer:

  • All Emergency Breakdowns
  • Tripping Circuits, Loss Of Power
  • Bathroom Extractor Fans
  • Down Lights, Bathroom Lights, External Security Lights
  • Additional Sockets, Faulty Sockets
  • Full Re-wiring, Partial Rewiring
  • Consumer Unit Upgrades
  • Electric Heaters
  • Electric Showers
  • Switches / Pull Cords
  • Underfloor Heating

PAT Testing

In relation to portable electrical appliances, there is no legal obligation in the case of rented residential accommodation to carry out a portable appliance test (PAT test). The Government have recently confirmed that this is the case. It is left to landlord’s discretion. The exception to this would be where you have an employee working or living in rented accommodation (e.g. in a care home type situation). However, the Electrical Safety Council’s Guidance recommends portable appliance testing to satisfy the obligation to ensure that any portable electrical appliances which the landlord provides under the tenancy are safe at the point of letting, and at periodic intervals after that.

The Guidance recommends that when providing portable appliances for tenants, the landlord should check that every appliance has a CE mark. It also recommends that you should only provide appliances with additional safety marks e.g. the British Standard Guidance mark or the BEAB approved mark.

Tenants should be provided with instruction manuals and be told to read and follow them.

If you do not undertake PAT tests, the Guidance recommends that portable electrical appliances should be checked by the landlord before letting the property to ensure that there are no cuts/abrasions to the cable, the plug is satisfactory, there are no loose parts or screws, that there are no signs of burning and there is no damage. You are recommended to regularly check them after that.
There is detailed guidance regarding the frequency of carrying out PAT testing. PAT testing must only be carried out by a qualified person. Examples of the recommended periods are as follows:


Positive Contractors continue to strive for excellence is both customer care and quality of works… As with all things in life, we continue to expand our knowledge and invest in our engineers by providing ongoing training and advanced courses. We are accredited to various association to confirm our high standards and commitment to our clients.

Get A Quote Today

Send us an email by entering your details and any comments you may have in the form.